Thursday, July 21, 2011

Scratch

Back in 2002 when I first started doing research I made a lot of mistakes.
  • I took the research of others as truth.  I didn't double check or confirm any details before incorporating that information into my file.  I wound up with A LOT of incorrect information that was impossible to separate from research I had dome myself.
  • I did not keep detailed notes.  I have no idea where most of my information came from.
  • I had several versions of my file in several different formats.
  • I printed off anything that seemed like it might matter one day.  This might not sound so bad, but it means I have BOXES of paper and no idea who they match up with and therefore it's not useful information at all.
In 2010 when I got my new computer I made a brave decision. I started my GEDCOM from scratch.  Eek!
  • Now I am confirming - with original documents when possible - all information before entering it.
  • I am keeping detailed notes on people I correspond with, any information I find, the places I look (even when I don't find what I'm looking for) and the items I am still missing.
  • I have separated the working version of my trees from the final version.
  • I keep a working version on ancestry.ca, not all this information is confirmed but allows me to be flagged for leads, documents and other researchers in their system.
  • I keep the real version (Family Tree maker 2010) offline with only information that I have verified myself linked to soft copies of all original documents.
  • I have created an organized filing system for keeping all Ancestral Charts, Family Group Sheets and hard copies of original documents.  But that's another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment