Sunday, July 24, 2011

Canadian Enough

My grandmother was always under the impression that her family had been in Canada for 8-10 generations.  I never questioned this while growing up.  I assumed we had been in Canada longer than it had even been Canada.  Turns out she was only partly right.

Tonight, while working on her file it occurred to me that 6 out of 8 of her great grandparents were immigrants (4 from Scotland, 2 from England) and the other 2 were 1st generation Canadians.   All 16 great great grandparents were born outside Canada.  The first ancestor born here was her great grandfather Charles Burnham in 1815 in Port Hope when it was still the British colony of Upper Canada.  So "we" really haven't been here that long at all, but it was pre-Confederation... I sure hope she wouldn't be disappointed!!  200 years is pretty respectable!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting... when I did research on my mother's side of the family, she had all sorts of stories about the family which many proved to be untrue or partly true. Oral histories are great but only go so far. Same with my father's side of the family - for years everyone thought my grandparents came from Germany in 1896 as young children. So wrong...at Ellis Island a few years ago, found their records as emigrating in 1906 and one came from Holland!

    ReplyDelete