Monday, August 15, 2011

Private John Burton Perkins



This is the Menin Gate in Ypres, Belgium.  Among the almost 7,000 Canadian soldiers remembered here is Private John Burton Perkins, Grandpa's great uncle, who died in June 1916 in the Battle of Mount Sorrel (Sanctuary Wood).  He is also commemorated in the First World War Book of Rememberance.

John Burton was in Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.  He voluntarily enlisted a year before his death as a machinist.

I am sure this is who my grandfather was named after.  I don't know much about him yet.  He had no descendants but he did have 3 sisters and hopefully I can connect with some cousins and learn more about him.

So who's planning a trip to Belgium?  And can you take a picture of his name for me on Panel 10?

No comments:

Post a Comment